Search This Blog

Sunday, January 31, 2010

Autopsy

We would have to observe and assist (whenever possible) at least 4 autopsies throughout our phase 3b (i.e. final year). This is part of our syllabus under the department of Pathology, of which the posting is integrated with other postings throughout the year. Yesterday, I went to the mortuary to observe an autopsy. I made a call to the mortuary prior and I was told that there is a case pending. So I decided to come and wait.

As I arrived to the mortuary, I saw a crowd of people waiting at the entrance. As I approached closer to the crowd to get myself through into the morgue, I noticed that they are all Indonesian migrants and spoke Bahasa Indonesia with some Javanese dialect. Then I saw a police officer in plain cloth interviewing a young Indonesian man surrounded by several other relatives who helped the interview as that boy was not very fluent with Bahasa Melayu.

I just noticed how close they are among themselves, being such a close-knit community. I don't know whether all Indonesians are like that, but perhaps it's because they are immigrants. So they stick together so that they can take care of themselves in the foreign country. Or perhaps the deceased was a very kind and generous person. Maybe he was respected leader among the immigrants there.

The autopsy had already started, it seemed that I was a little bit too late. The door was locked. So I went back to my room empty handed.

I've been to the mortuary before & observed an autopsy. It was a Bangladeshi immigrant whose death was classified by the police as sudden death. Initial autopsy was rather inconclusive as there were not much finding upon gross examination. Hence, samples were sent to the lab for further investigation and study. Whole body was examined, including the brain, the abdomen, the lungs, and anything between them. Samples of gastric content was also aspirated for toxicology. The skull was cut open and the brain was dissected. So did the heart, the kidneys, liver, and lungs.

After observing the autopsy, I realized how painful it could be for the deceased. Muslim scholars differ in their opinion regarding the autopsy. I don't want to further elaborate upon this, so for those (especially the Muslims) who are interested to know more please refer to the respective sources. What bothers me the most is the fact that all the organs that have been examined were put into a plastic bag & then tucked inside the abdomen. Brain included. The skull? It was filled with cotton & stitched back.

I don't know what's your opinion regarding this issue, but I really hope that my dead body will never have to undergo such horrible experience. In fact, I think I would write specifically about this in my will. Even if it means that the culprit will get away with their crime (if only I might be murdered in future - God forbid). I also don't have insurance policy, so I don't think an autopsy would be necessary for me.

Ok, that's about it for today. Need to continue studying.

-----------

Reminder to myself: Update the notes that I scribbled throughout this posting into a proper book that I have prepared for the exam.

No comments: