Search This Blog

Sunday, January 31, 2010

Growth Study Project

"ape ek indication for IOL... senaraikan byk2"

That's the message that I received from a friend via YM. I was quite surprised when she suddenly asked me that question. After exchanging few messages about the indications for IOL (induction of labor), she continued asking,

"n also ape indication for EMLSCS"

Eh, why all the sudden she asked me these questions? I'm not in O&G posting right now, neither is she. Revision, maybe? Soon after, I realized that she was struggling to finish her Baby Growth Study Project report. But wait, aren't we supposed to observe the growth of a normal child for the project? Then she told me that she wasn't aware of that. The baby that she took for the project was born via emergency lower segment caesarean section (EMLSCS). No wonder she was asking all those questions so that she can put them in the report for the discussion part. Then I asked her how is she going to find the proper baby within this short period of time? The project was supposed to be submitted 4 weeks prior to final exam, meaning that only 3 weeks left from the time this post is written.

"ok... dah convert dah jadi SVD"

erk... "^_^

How convenient it is. I'm not mentioning any name here. But I really hope that she would not do anything like this anymore in the future. As for this time, I think there's nothing much can be done, since the time is really running short. Perhaps I would have to 'close one eye' (pejam sebelah mata) for this time.

Me? Honestly, I never met the mother after the initial meeting at the maternity ward. But I do make some phone calls to ask for the baby's update from time to time. It's not that I don't want to meet her, it's just that we could not fix a time for appointment. She worked based on shift in a factory in Shah Alam. Whenever I was free, she wasn't available and vice versa. Apart from that, another major problem is that both of us don't have our own vehicle and we have to rely heavily on public transportation. I have already obtained most of the information required for the report, but I still don't have the picture of the baby. I have to meet her somehow. At least once. So that I can show my gratitude for her willingness to get involved in this project. Perhaps I should bring along some presents to her baby. So, I would have to ask another friend of mine to do me a favor, by giving me a ride to her home. In return, I would accompany him to meet the baby of his study project.

----------

Indication for Induction of Labor (always consider Maternal and Fetal factor. Sometimes paternal factor if relevant. lol)

Maternal factors
  1. Pregnancy-induced Hypertension or worse, impending eclampsia
  2. Maternal medical problem
  3. Premature rupture of membrane
  4. Chorioamnionitis
  5. Prolonged second stage of labor
Fetal factors
  1. Fetal distress
  2. Postdatism (>40 weeks)
  3. Intrauterine death (fetal demise)
  4. Chorioamnionitis

Indications for emergency LSCS (considered as emergency when the labor has already took place) .

Maternal factors: life threatening events such as:
  1. Massive blood loss
  2. Surge of blood pressure
Fetal factors:
  1. Fetal distress (may presented with meconium stained liquor)
  2. Cord presentation
p.s. This is based on my memory, should there be any mistake, please leave your comment so that I can make some corrections if any. Thank you in advance.

-----------

Reminder for Myself: Sleep early tonight as you have to be in ward at 6.30 a.m. to cover one new admission. Don't forget to revise on the Mood Disorder topic tomorrow.



No comments: