Search This Blog

Saturday, April 3, 2010

Developmental Assessment

Theoretically, it is straight forward & well guided. Practically, it is quite difficult if you are not used to it. So, the keyword is "Practice". Basically, it is divided into four components, namely, "Gross motor", "Fine motor and vision", "Language and Hearing", and "Social". (DA is culture specific. Although there is not much difference, it is better for us to refer to the one in the Paediatric Protocols by KKM in addition to those in the Paediatric textbooks from the Western countries - Nelson, 'Sunflower' etc). Some of them can be assessed by simply observing the child whereas the others may require cooperation from the child. Most of the time, the child would be irritated at most, and shy away at least. Some might even cry and refuse to cooperate. Sigh, this is one of the reasons why I don't like Paediatrics. It's because it is difficult for me to get close to the kids. My lecturer used to tell me once when I was examining a baby, "Why are you being so formal to the child?" (lolz).

Part of the reason is that I didn't have enough experience playing with kids (except during my childhood, of course). I am the youngest sibling, and my cousins live quite far from my home. Furthermore, I was sent to a boarding school for five years. By the time I finished my secondary school, they have all grown up. But the good news is that, my eldest brother is married! Soon, I will become Uncle and I would have all the opportunity to improve my difficulty in dealing with kids. As for the time being, perhaps I should be frequenting the ward to get used to doing DA on a child.

p.s. The exam is over, but I still have to prepare just in case I might be called to sit for special examination (i.e. viva borderline) on Monday. Till then, please wish me luck and pray for me. Thanks~


No comments: