Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Study weeks...

Our first week out of three study weeks has started. It seems like yesterday when we started our clinical years in Klang and then in UMMC. Now it's our juniors' turn to 'suffer' from what we've been through. I can see white coats roaming through the dining hall after Maghrib prayer, but this time with different faces. It used to be us being the ones struggling to clerk the cases for tomorrow's ward round or staying in the ward for on calls (which is much,much,much relaxing as compared to the HO's oncall). Sometimes, we have up to 8 beds to be covered in details within a day. Of course we'll be able to do so, provided that we're free the whole day. (and we're dedicated to this field). But the truth is, half of the day is usually filled with teachings, tutorials, seminars, etc. Now, it's their turn to experience this. And not forgetting the facebook statuses such as "Post call syndrome", or "Case summaries~!" etc.

But that's nothing when compared to the life as a house officer. Even though I'm not there yet, but I knew it based on what had been told by my seniors. Some even mentioned that they were too busy to the extent that they do not have much time for themselves anymore.

Well, I am mentally prepared for that ever since the very first day I stepped into the college approximately five years ago. It's just that I have to brush up on my knowledge and skills so that I can become a competent HO and sailed safely through the career as a clinician. Lately, there has been news about how terrible some HOs were. But I believe they were just isolated cases. Generally speaking, our med schools have been producing qualified and safe doctors throughout the years. Especially UM, followed closely by UKM, and USM. No, I'm not saying this just because I'm from UM Med School. Even though there has been some decline in the sense of quality as compared to our super-duper seniors (as being mentioned by a senior paediatric consultant during a ward round), but I can safely say that the public can put their trust in our very own locally trained doctors.

Enough said, it's time for me to continue revising. Oh, my GI disturbances had somehow subsided. Now I only had loose stools from time to time, but there's no more increase in frequency of visits to the toilet. Hopefully I will fully recover by tomorrow so that I can focus on my studies... Ameen.

No comments: