Search This Blog

Friday, February 26, 2010

GI Disturbance - very disturbing~

For the last two days I have been suffering from diarrhea. I have frequented the toilet like never before. I tried to figure out what's the probable causes, but I am not sure what's the real cause. I started to have diarrhea after I went to have dinner at Medan Selera somewhere in PJ with my friend. Both of us were having satay together, but he does not suffer from diarrhea. So I think it is unlikely to be the cause. What, you were implying that I didn't wash my hands before eating? If you think so, then you are wrong.

Hmm... maybe, just maybe, I might be suffering from 'functional gastrointestinal disturbance'?. Irritable bowel syndrome, related to anxiety, maybe? I think it is possible, since that I will be sitting for my final exam within three weeks from now on... A quick search on the net (it seems that I have the tendency to look for info from internet rather than flipping through the med books) and I think it is possible. Hopefully it will resolve soon. I can't focus on my study with this condition. Thank God the classes are over, otherwise I may have to waste my time visiting the Student's Clinic which was like 3 or 4 kilometres away from the college. Some might say, "Ala, dekat je pun. Naik motor 5 minit boleh sampai,"

Well, that's if you have a vehicle to begin with. I don't have any. Anyway, just forget about that. I personally think that it is ridiculous for us having to visit the student's clinic when an outpatient clinic is available in the hospital just within stone throw away. But one of the staff at RUKA (that's what UMMC's outpatient department is known as) tried to justify the policy, by saying that the hospital is already overburdened. So, unless you are dying from massive haemorrhage or other life threatening conditions, go to the student's clinic (well, the latter sentence is from me). You would have to get a referral letter from there if required. OK, fine thank you. It's not that thousands of medical students will visit the RUKA, and nobody will be bothered to visit if they are healthy, unless you have hidden agenda or something. But a policy is a policy. That's the way it is.

By the way, what should I do for now? If the problem persists tomorrow, I would go to the clinic. For time being, I would have to make sure that I am adequately hydrated. And be prepared for the "blast". Wearing a sarong and keep the towel within my reach would also help. Hopefully it will resolve soon... Ameen...

No comments: