Search This Blog

Monday, February 8, 2010

The examiner will be annoyed...

"Speak up, it's very difficult to listen to what you say. You have to speak louder. Otherwise the examiner will be annoyed with you."

That's what was told to me by one of my lecturers. He is a very patient doctor/lecturer. I have been having this problem for quit some time, yet he is still trying to help me to improve on my voice as well as presentation skills. If you are reading this (which is highly unlikely), I would sincerely thank you for your effort to help me. I promise that I will try my best to improve on my weaknesses particularly my soft voice. I can't thank you enough for your help. At least I can safely say that there is some improvements on my presentation skills.

For your information, I have a problem with the tone of my voice. I don't know why, but it persists even after I tried so many times to raise my voice (appropriately, of course). Honestly speaking, I feel like there's something stuck near my vocal cord that had restricted the voices coming from it. Apart from that, I also feel that as if there is some barrier between me and those who are listening to me.

I also had problems with my confidence level, no matter how well I am prepared for the presentation. Even though I have been presenting so many times before, I still have this kind of problem. I am absolutely having problem with showmanship. It really makes me wonder whether it's just in my mind, or there is some underlying physiological problem? Could it possibly be due to hormonal imbalance, for example? Or is it just me, having low self esteem?

I really need to address this problem quickly as the time is running out. This is the 7th week of my last posting, which means that there is only more or less one month left before my final examination. What should I do?

1) Practice more on presenting cases (volunteer if possible)
2) Practice to speak up clearly in front of mirror in my room
3) Spend some time (but not too much) speaking to patients confidently and try to explain about the disease to them (if they're interested) apart from just clerking them
4) I would definitely have to solidify my knowledge so that I am able to argue/discuss confidently during presentation.
5) Last but not least (in fact, the most important thing) pray to God for His help to tackle this problem.


p.s. Reciting al-Quran or singing out loud to a song when I'm alone in the room will also help.

----------

Reminder to myself: Please adhere to the plan and make sure to do the housekeeping from time to time so that the untidiness of the room will not 'accumulate' and causes huge problem to myself.


No comments: