Search This Blog

Friday, February 5, 2010

The Last CPC

Yesterday we had our last clinicopathological conference (CPC), which was under the Department of Orthopaedic Surgery. I had a mixed feeling about it. Happy, because soon I will be graduating (hopefully). Worried, of course, because it means that the final examination is really around the corner.

One of the presenter had mentioned that over the last few years, there was no CPC paper from the Department of Orthopaedic Surgery. Thus, the likelihood of Ortho CPC is high. But one can never be 100% sure about it. After all, it was only speculation. In fact, I would have to cover all posting nevertheless. But it's worth considering anyhow. Maybe some extra study sessions for Orthopaedics - and less on Primary Care Medicine, because I have covered most of them. =)

The CPC was about a 5 year old child who presented with complain of left knee pain. Since the patient is under paediatric age group, so we would have to discuss about the different approach in paediatric patient as compared to adults. As the supervisor had mentioned, "children are not small adults". When the child complain of pain, it may not be necessarily be pain, it may be numbness or paraesthesia. Perhaps the child is too young and unable to differentiate between those symptoms. Apart from that, in any case like this, we must take into consideration the possibility of non-accidental injury (NAI). Not only for extra marks during examination, but because the incidence of NAI is increasing over the years. Sad but that's the truth. It really makes me wonder, how can a mother or father did such horrible things to their very own child.

As for the management part, multidisciplinary approach must be taken, which covers "bio-psycho-social" aspect, as what our Psychiatrists cum lecturers had stressed upon.

I have no intention of bringing the whole discussion here, because it was quite lengthy. It's just that after attempting the questions, I noticed that I was still unable to obtain maximum marks. Perhaps I should attempt more past year questions so that I can get used to the questions.

p.s. It has been a very tiring day, so I need to have a good rest for tonight and wake up fresh in the morning. I've been quite busy for the last 3 days, which is why I did not update this blog lately. On call, case summary, growth study project report, and a visit from an old friend. But somehow I was quite happy, since that I believe I have already gained the momentum to prepare for the final examination. Hopefully I can maintain such momentum so that I will be well prepared for the upcoming examination. May Allah grant me success... Amin.

-----------

Reminder to Myself: It's Saturday, time for housekeeping and laundry. And don't forget your appointment at 8 a.m. Then I should continue with my growth study project report which is already half way through. Hopefully will manage to finish it by this weekend. Oh, and on call on Sunday. T_T

No comments: