Search This Blog

Sunday, February 21, 2010

Selfish


I don't blame them entirely. They have their own reason in doing so i.e. being selfish. Among them, it's because for every year, there will always be certain percentages of students that would have to be "sacrificed" and fail the examination in order to maintain the standard of the faculty (and of course the ones who didn't perform included). It really hurts myself, especially when they are my friends, at least for the last 5 years. Playing and suffering together. But when it comes to survival, you are left on your own. That's the way life is, I guess.

No, I'm not implying that I am totally dependent to others. Just because I am a Malay, so-called being "anak emas" and spoon fed by the government, doesn't mean that I am unable to survive in the level playing field. Thank God, I managed to be where I am today because of my capabilities. I don't have connections or cable higher up. And even in the current system where Malays are favored (of which has made me feel guilty and uncomfortable, for sure), I still have to compete with hundreds, not to say thousands of others who tried their best to enter the Med school. The NEP doesn't benefit the general population of Malays. On contrary, it only benefits the 'elite' Malays, so to speak.

Besides, I don't think the exam will be biased anyway. Especially when it involves the life of people out there at stake. Nobody wants to see a half-baked doctor went out on 'killing spree' in the hospital in order to fulfill the racial-based quota. By the way, just in case that somebody might ask, I am all against the "master race" ideology. I can go on for pages regarding this issue but I don't think it would serve the purpose of this blog anyway.

I don't mind if they don't want to share tips or refused to lend me the important notes or past years questions. I don't give a damn if they decided to discuss in the language that I don't understand just because they don't want me to benefit from the discussion. I can live with that. What really makes my heart bleed (figure of speech, not literally) is that they (no particular race mentioned) would go to the extent of hiding the information or announcement, at least to the last minute, from me. It happened before, quite a number of times. For instance, I missed a tutorial once just because they didn't forward the message to me regarding the changes. There is also an occasion whereby I nearly missed a ward round; I am lucky to be around the ward. When I mentioned about it to them, they don't even feel guilty. Instead they would simply said, "there must be somebody who didn't forward the message," and turned away. Oh my...

I think that would do. I'm somehow relieved after 'blurting' this out. Time to get back on the track again. Here I come!


No comments: